Social Professionals research and study human behaviour, society and institutions from current and historical perspectives, and verbally render spoken statements, and transcribe text and recorded spoken material from one language into another.
A Bachelor Degree or higher is usually required and more than three in five workers have a university degree. Sometimes relevant experience or on-the-job training is needed in addition to a qualification.
- assembling historical data by consulting sources of information such as historical indexes and catalogues, archives, court records, diaries, newspaper files and other materials
- organising, authenticating, evaluating and interpreting historical, political, sociological, anthropological and linguistic data
- undertaking historical and cultural research into human activity, and preparing and presenting research findings
- providing simultaneous and consecutive verbal or signed renditions of speeches into another language
- rendering the meaning and feeling of what is said and signed into another language in the appropriate register and style in a range of settings such as courts, hospitals, schools, workplaces and conferences
- studying original texts and transcripts of recorded spoken material to comprehend subject matter and translating them into another language
- rendering the meaning and feeling of written material, such as literary, legal, technical and scientific texts, into another language in the appropriate register and style, so that it will read as an original piece rather than as a translation
- Other Social Professionals
Researches the history of human activity and prepares accounts of findings.
Specialisations: Art Historian, Cultural Historian, Economic Historian, Geographical Historian
Transfers a spoken or signed language into another spoken or signed language, usually within a limited time frame in the presence of the participants requiring the translation.
Transfers a source text from one language into another, usually within an extended time frame to allow for corrections and modifications and without the presence of the participants requiring the translation.
Studies human activity in the past, primarily through the recovery and analysis of the material culture and environmental data left behind, which includes artifacts, architecture, biofacts and cultural landscapes (the archaeological record).
Other Social Professionals
Includes Anthropologist, Criminologist, Geographer, Heritage Consultant, Linguist, Parole Board Member, Political Scientist, Sociologist, Transport Analyst