Nurserypersons propagate and cultivate trees, shrubs, and ornamental and flowering plants in plant nurseries.
A Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or a Certificate IV, or at least 3 years of relevant experience, is usually needed. Most workers have not completed any post school qualifications (that is, they have finished either Year 10, 11 or 12 only). Sometimes experience or on-the-job training is needed in addition to a qualification.
- preparing potting media and containers before planting
- selecting seeds, bulbs and cuttings, and planting them in beds, lawn areas and tubs
- budding and grafting vegetative material onto root stock
- watering plants manually and controlling automatic watering operations
- applying pesticides to control pests, diseases, weeds and nutritional and environmental plant disorders
- keeping records of soil mixtures, plantings, treatments, losses and yields
- selecting plants and packaging them for presentation and delivery
- advising customers on plant care and appropriate plants for local conditions
- may plan sales area layouts and visual merchandise presentation