Bar Attendants and Baristas prepare, mix and serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks to patrons in bars in licensed establishments, and prepare and serve espresso coffee and other hot beverages to patrons in cafes, coffee shops and dining establishments.
A Certificate II or III, or at least 1 year of relevant experience, is usually needed to work in this job. Most workers have Year 12 has their highest level of education. Sometimes experience or on-the-job training is needed in addition to a qualification. Additional tickets (like Responsible Service of Alcohol) may be required.
- preparing, serving and selling cocktails, mixed drinks, bottled, canned and other alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and a variety of coffee beverages such as lattes, cappuccinos and other espresso-based beverages
- cleaning and maintaining bar service areas, coffee-making areas and espresso machines
- collecting payment for sales and operating cash registers
- promoting services and products
- washing glassware and arranging bottles and glasses
- tapping kegs and attaching supply lines
- replenishing drink dispensers, shelves and refrigerators
- selling light snacks
- selecting and grinding coffee
Bar Attendant (also called Bar Steward)
Prepares, mixes and serves alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks to patrons in a bar in a licensed establishment.
Prepares and serves espresso coffee and other hot beverages to patrons in a cafe, coffee shop, restaurant or dining establishment.