Building and Plumbing Labourers perform a variety of routine tasks associated with erecting and repairing structures and facilities, maintaining stormwater, drainage and sewerage systems, excavating earth and clearing and levelling sites, and installing and maintaining piping systems, fixtures and water regulators.
A Year 10 Certificate, Certificate I, or a short period of on-the-job training is sometimes needed, but is not necessary to work in this job. Around one in three workers have Year 12 as their highest level of education. Sometimes additional tickets are required to work in this job.
- loading and unloading building and construction materials, tools and equipment and transporting them around building sites
- erecting and dismantling temporary structures such as barricades and scaffolding
- mixing, pouring and spreading materials such as concrete, plaster and mortar
- cleaning and carrying out minor repairs on stormwater drains and canals, and checking for cracks and leaks in sewerage systems
- digging holes and shovelling excavated material onto conveyors, wheelbarrows and trucks for removal
- spreading and levelling soil, gravel and sand on roads and driveways, trench bottoms and similar locations
- assisting with assembling and installing piping, valves and fittings
- assisting with installing fixtures such as toilets, wash basins and sprinkler systems
- Builder's Labourer
- Drainage, Sewerage and Stormwater Labourer
- Earthmoving Labourer
- Plumber's Assistant
Builder's Labourer (also called Construction Worker)
Performs routine tasks in erecting and repairing structures and facilities on building and construction sites and in factories producing prefabricated building components.
Specialisations: Bricklayer's Assistant, Carpenter's Assistant, Tiler's Assistant
Drainage, Sewerage and Stormwater Labourer
Performs routine tasks in maintaining drainage, sewerage and stormwater systems.
Performs routine tasks in excavating earth, clearing and levelling sites, and digging irrigation channels.
Specialisations: Grave Digger
Performs routine tasks in fabricating, laying, installing and maintaining pipes, fixtures, water meters and regulators.