Manufacturers plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate the operations of small manufacturing establishments.
A skill level equal to a Bachelor Degree or higher, or at least 5 years of relevant experience is usually needed to work in this job. Around one in three workers have a Certificate III/IV instead of a university degree.
- identifying business opportunities, devising new manufacturing processes and determining products to be manufactured
- developing business plans and implementing operational, marketing, human resource and pricing procedures
- researching and implementing regulatory and statutory requirements affecting manufacturing operations and the environment
- directing the activities of production, warehouse, distribution and other operating units
- maintaining quality control systems for manufacturing, waste disposal, delivery and other procedures
- coordinating orders for raw materials, supplies and equipment, and arranging packaging, delivery and wholesaling of products
- overseeing the coordination of after-sales service
- overseeing the provision of quotes for the manufacture of specialised goods and arranging contracts with customers
- may devise and oversee the implementation of production run schedules