School Principals plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate the educational and administrative aspects of primary, middle or intermediate, and secondary schools including physical and human resources.
A Bachelor Degree or higher, or at least 5 years of relevant experience is usually needed to work in this job. Around one in two workers have a Post Graduate degree.
- determining educational programs based on curricula set by educational authorities
- implementing systems and procedures to monitor school performance and student enrolments
- directing administrative and clerical activities concerning student admissions and educational services
- preparing school budgets and maintaining budgetary controls
- promoting the educational program, and representing schools in the wider community
- supervising the maintenance of school facilities
- enforcing a disciplinary code to create a safe and conducive environment for students and teachers
- organising and implementing methods of raising additional funds in conjunction with parent groups
- controlling selection, training and supervision of staff
- may teach students
- School Principal, or Headmaster/mistress