Interior Designers plan, design, detail and supervise the construction of commercial, industrial, retail and residential building interiors to produce an environment tailored to a purpose, with particular emphasis on space creation, space planning, and factors that enhance living and working environments.
A Bachelor Degree or higher, or at least 5 years of experience, is usually needed to work in this job. Around two in five workers have a university degree. A high level of creativity may also be important.
- determining the objectives and constraints of the design brief by consulting with clients and stakeholders
- researching and analysing spatial, functional, efficiency, safety and aesthetic requirements
- formulating design concepts for building interiors
- preparing sketches, diagrams, illustrations and plans to communicate design concepts
- negotiating design solutions with clients, management, suppliers and construction staff
- selecting, specifying and recommending functional and aesthetic materials, furniture and products for interiors
- detailing and documenting selected design for construction
- supervising the construction of interiors
Specialisations: Commercial Interior Designer, Environmental Designer, Residential Interior Designer, Retail Interior Designer