Special Education Teachers teach primary, middle or intermediate, and secondary school students with learning difficulties, hearing impairment and sight impairment, and promote students' social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
A Bachelor Degree or higher is required. Nearly all workers have a university degree. Sometimes relevant experience or on-the-job training is also needed. Registration with the relevant state or territory board of education may be required.
- assessing students' abilities and limitations with regard to intellectual, physical, social and emotional disabilities, exceptional intellectual gifts, or specific problems of language and culture
- planning, organising and implementing special programs to provide remedial or advanced tuition
- administering various forms of assessment and interpreting the results
- teaching basic academic subjects, and practical and self-help skills to hearing and sight impaired students
- devising instructional materials, methods and aids to assist in training and rehabilitation
- advising, instructing and counselling parents and teachers on the availability and use of special techniques
- stimulating and developing interests, abilities, manual skills and coordination
- conferring with other staff members to plan and schedule lessons for special needs students
- preparing and maintaining student data and other records and submitting reports
- Special Needs Teacher
- Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
- Teacher of the Sight Impaired
- Other Special Education Teachers
Special Needs Teacher
Teaches academic and living skills to primary, middle or intermediate, and secondary school students with particular learning difficulties using various techniques. Registration or licensing is required.
Specialisations: Behaviour Support Teacher, Remedial Teacher, Teacher of Gifted Students
Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
Teaches academic and living skills to hearing impaired students. Registration or licensing is required.
Teacher of the Sight Impaired
Teaches academic and living skills to sight impaired students. Registration or licensing is required.
Other Special Education Teachers
Includes Aboriginal Education Teacher, Distance Education Teacher. Registration or licensing is required.