ICT Support and Test Engineers develop procedures and strategies to support, create, maintain and manage technical quality assurance processes and guidelines and systems infrastructure, investigate, analyse and resolve system problems and performance issues, and test the behaviour, functionality and integrity of systems.
A Bachelor Degree or higher, or at least 5 years of relevant experience, or relevant vendor certification is usually needed. Around half of workers have a university degree. Sometimes experience or on-the-job training is needed in addition to a qualification.
- scheduling and conducting quality audit inspections, and analysing and reviewing systems, data and documentation
- identifying variations and potential high risk areas in securing adherence to standards and procedures
- recommending corrective action plans and improvements in the resolution of non-compliance with standards detected through monitoring and auditing of processes and procedures
- communicating, educating and liaising with users and management to ensure awareness and adherence to standards, procedures and quality control issues and activities
- assisting in troubleshooting, diagnosing, testing and resolving system problems and issues
- developing, conducting and providing technical guidance and training in application software and operational procedures
- analysing, evaluating and diagnosing technical problems and issues such as installation, maintenance, repair, upgrade and configuration and troubleshooting of desktops, software, hardware, printers, Internet, email, databases, operating systems and security policies and procedures to ensure optimal database and system integrity, security, backup, reliability and performance
- testing, identifying and diagnosing functionality errors and faults in systems, and programming code within established testing protocols, guidelines and quality standards to ensure systems perform to specification
- performing organisational systems architecture reviews and assessments, and recommending current and future hardware and software strategies and directions
- creating and reviewing technical documentation such as procedural, instructional and operational guides and manuals, technical reports and specifications and maintenance inventory systems
- ICT Quality Assurance Engineer
- ICT Support Engineer, Analyst or Architect
- ICT Systems Test Engineer
- Other ICT Support and Test Engineers
ICT Quality Assurance Engineer (also called Quality Analyst (ICT), Quality Manager (ICT) or Specialist (ICT))
Creates, maintains and manages technical quality assurance processes and procedures to assess efficiency, validity, value and functional performance of computer systems and environments, and audits systems to ensure compliance with, and adherence to, accredited internal and external industry quality standards and regulations. May supervise the work of ICT quality assurance teams.
Specialisations: Computer Systems Auditor, Systems Auditor (ICT)
ICT Support Engineer, Analyst or Architect
Develops support procedures and strategies for systems, networks, operating systems and applications development, solves problems and provides technical expertise and direction in support of system infrastructure and process improvements, and diagnoses and resolves complex system problems.
ICT Systems Test Engineer (also called Systems Tester or Test Analyst (ICT))
Specifies, develops and writes test plans and test scripts, produces test cases, carries out regression testing, and uses automated test software applications to test the behaviour, functionality and integrity of systems, and documents the results of tests in defect reports and related documentation.
Other ICT Support and Test Engineers
Includes Usability Architect