Mechanical Engineering Draftspersons and Technicians assist in mechanical engineering research, design, manufacture, construction, operation and maintenance of machines, manufacturing equipment, mechanical installations and facilities.
An Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma, or at least 3 years of relevant experience is usually needed. Nearly all workers have a Certificate III or higher Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification. Even with a qualification, experience or on-the-job training is usually needed. Registration or licensing may also be required.
- preparing drawings, plans and designs for mechanical engineering work under the direction of Mechanical Engineers and Engineering Technologists
- assisting Mechanical Engineers and Engineering Technologists in the design of mechanical equipment and plant
- selecting tools and equipment
- assembling and installing new and modified mechanical assemblies, components, machine tools and controls, and hydraulic power systems
- estimating material costs and quantities, and machine requirements
- performing and directing field and laboratory tests
- collecting and analysing data, carrying out complex computations and preparing diagrams
- organising and supervising inspection and maintenance of machines and plant
- ensuring that designs and finished work are within specifications, regulations and contract provisions
- Mechanical Engineering Draftsperson
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
Mechanical Engineering Draftsperson
Prepares detailed drawings and plans of mechanical engineering work in support of Mechanical Engineers and Engineering Technologists.
Specialisations: Airconditioning Drafting Officer, Heating and Ventilating Technical Officer, Tool Design Draftsperson, Tool Designer
Mechanical Engineering Technician
Conducts tests of mechanical systems, collects and analyses data, and assembles and installs mechanical assemblies in support of Mechanical Engineers and Engineering Technologists.
Specialisations: Boiler Testing Technician, Hydraulic Controls Technician, Mechanical Laboratory Technician, Pipe Testing Technician