The number of Vehicle Painters grew very strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to grow moderately over the next 5 years:
from 13,800 in 2017 to 14,700 by 2022.
There are likely to be around 8,000 job openings over this time from workers leaving and new jobs being created.
- Size: This is a medium sized occupation.
- Unemployment: Unemployment was above average in 2017.
- Location: Vehicle Painters work in most regions of Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Other Services; Manufacturing; and Wholesale Trade.
- Earnings: Full-time workers earn around $1,125 per week (similar to the all jobs average of $1,230). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (95.6%, much higher than the all jobs average of 68.4%) showing part-time work may be hard to find.
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 40.5 hours per week at work (compared to the all jobs average of 40.0 hours).
- Age: The average age is 33 years (compared to the all jobs average of 40 years). Many workers are under 25 years of age (38.9%).
- Gender: 3.2% of workers are female (compared to the all jobs average of 46.7%).
In 2016, employers in most states and territories found it hard to recruit Vehicle Painters. To find out more, view the Department of Jobs and Small Business latest skill shortage research opens in a new window.