Education Aides perform non-teaching duties to assist teaching staff in schools, provide care and supervision for children in preschools, and provide assistance to Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Maori students and their teachers.
A Certificate II or III, or at least 1 year of relevant experience, is usually needed to work in this job. Around half of workers have a Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification. Sometimes experience or on-the-job training is needed in addition to a qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- demonstrating, supervising and participating in activities which enhance the physical, social, emotional and intellectual development of children in schools and preschool centres
- preparing indoor and outdoor areas for learning and recreational activities
- assisting children with intellectual, physical and behavioural difficulties with their academic studies
- assisting children individually to learn social skills
- assisting with preparing teaching aids, and copying and collating written and printed material
- distributing and collecting lesson material
- providing assistance to small groups of Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Maori students
- providing home-school liaison and counselling for Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Maori students and their families
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Worker
- Integration Aide
- Preschool Aide
- Teachers' Aide
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Worker
Assists Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in their education, provides feedback to parents or guardians and teachers about students' progress, and liaises with educational bodies, government agencies and committees.
Specialisations: Aboriginal Education Worker Coordinator, Aboriginal Home-School Liaison Officer
Assists children with developmental disabilities in mainstream schools.
Provides care and supervision for children at preschool centres under the direction of Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teachers.
Specialisations: Kindergarten Assistant
Assists teaching staff in preparing teaching materials and with general classroom tasks.
Specialisations: School Services Officer, Student Liaison Officer, Teachers' Assistant