Aged and Disabled Carers provide general household assistance, emotional support, care and companionship for aged and disabled persons in their own homes.
A Certificate II or III, or at least 1 year of relevant experience, is usually needed to work in this job. Around three in five workers have a Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification. Sometimes experience or on-the-job training is needed in addition to a qualification.
- accompanying aged and disabled persons during daily activities
- assisting clients with their mobility
- preparing food for clients
- arranging social activities
- performing housekeeping tasks such as vacuuming and cleaning
- assisting in personal hygiene and dressing
- providing companionship, friendship and emotional support
- may do shopping and run errands
- may live in with the person
- Aged or Disabled Carer, Personal Care Worker, or Personal Carer