Paper and Wood Processing Machine Operators operate machines to manufacture paper packaging and other paper products, fibreboard stock, logs, plywood, particle board, solid laminate and similar timber products.
A Certificate II or III, or at least 1 year of relevant experience, is usually needed to work in this job. Even with a qualification, sometimes experience or on-the-job training is necessary.
- setting up printing plates, ink circulation systems, knives, creases, cutting dies, and folding and gluing machines
- loading machines with paper and fibreboard
- operating machines to form cardboard containers, paper plates, egg cartons, tissue paper and other paper products
- adjusting and cleaning machines and performing minor repairs
- securing timber into place and setting saws to produce specified sizes of plank and board to be cut
- starting machines and feeding stock onto cutting saw, and operating automatic feed mechanisms
- raising and lowering saws to trim boards and remove defects such as rot and splits
- controlling lathes and slicing machines to produce veneers, and laminating veneer using glue
- verifying dimensions of cut stock and accuracy of cuts
- checking saws and other machines for safety, sharpness and correct functioning
- Paper Products Machine Operator
- Sawmilling Operator or Sawmiller
- Other Wood Processing Machine Operator
Paper Products Machine Operator
Operates machines to manufacture paper packaging and other products from paper and fibreboard stock.
Specialisations: Carton Making Machinist, Embosser, Paper Bag Making Machinist
Sawmilling Operator or Sawmiller
Sets up and operates machines to cut logs into planks of standard sizes.
Specialisations: Band Saw Operator, Beam Saw Operator, Cant Gang Sawyer, Resawyer, Ripsaw Operator
Other Wood Processing Machine Operator
Operates machines that strip and prepare logs, remove bark, cut logs and timber, create wood chips, and cut, glue, press, trim, sand, splice, mould and repair wooden boards of various grades, forms and combinations.
Specialisations: Debarker Operator, Docking Saw Operator, Log Preparer, Plywood and Veneer Repairer, Sawmill Moulder Operator, Veneer Production Machine Operator