Earthmoving Plant Operators operate plant to excavate earth, ore and rock, break up pavement, road, rock and obstructions, move and load earth, rock and debris, and level, smooth and compact surfaces in construction and other projects.
A Certificate II or III, or at least 1 year of relevant experience, is usually needed to work in this job. Around one in three workers have Years 11 and 10 as their highest level of education. Even with a qualification, sometimes experience or on-the-job training is necessary. Registration or licensing is required.
- preparing and positioning plant for operation
- selecting, fitting and removing attachments such as buckets, winches, loading scoops, shovel blades and rock breaking hammers
- operating controls to excavate, break, drill, level, compact, gouge out, move, load and spread earth, rock, rubble, soil and other materials
- monitoring operation of plant and adjusting controls to regulate pressure, speed and flow of operation, and ensuring safety of other workers
- raising, lowering and manipulating attachments using manual and hydraulic controls
- working from drawings, markers and verbal instructions
- servicing, lubricating, cleaning and refuelling plant and performing minor adjustments and repairs
- Earthmoving Plant Operator (General)
- Backhoe Operator
- Bulldozer Operator
- Excavator Operator
- Grader Operator
- Loader Operator
Earthmoving Plant Operator (General) (also called Construction Plant Operator)
Operates a range of earthmoving plant to assist with building roads, rail, water supply, dams, treatment plants and agricultural earthworks. Registration or licensing is required.
Operates a backhoe and attachments to excavate, break, drill, level and compact earth, rock and other material. Registration or licensing is required.
Operates a bulldozer using blades and other attachments to gouge out, level and move materials in construction, forestry, mining and other projects. Registration or licensing is required.
Specialisations: Scraper Operator (Earthmoving)
Operates heavy excavation plant to excavate, move and load earth, rock and rubble. Registration or licensing is required.
Specialisations: Hydraulic Rockbreaker Operator, Trench Digging Machine Operator
Operates a grader to spread and level materials in construction projects. Registration or licensing is required.
Operates a motorised loader to move and load soil, rock and other material. Registration or licensing is required.
Specialisations: Bobcat Operator, Front-end Loader Operator