Insulation and Home Improvement Installers install a variety of insulation materials to improve resistance to heat, cold, air, sound and moisture, and install functional and decorative home improvements.
A Certificate II or III, or at least 1 year of relevant experience, is usually needed to work in this job. Even with a qualification, sometimes experience or on-the-job training is necessary. Registration or licensing may be required.
- examining plans, specifications and work sites to determine the type and quality of installations required and their location
- preparing site for insulation and installation of fittings by nailing up furring, drilling holes for screws and bolts, and erecting scaffolding and ladders
- gluing blocks and slabs of foamed plastic and cork to walls
- operating equipment to blow and spray mineral wool, fibre fill and foam insulation material into cavities
- cutting insulation material to size and shape, and nailing and stapling batt-type insulation to joists, studs and furring
- measuring, cutting and applying solar control film to windows
- fitting awnings, security screens, shower screens, prefabricated windows and doors, exterior cladding and other home improvements using hand tools
- drilling holes in wood, brick, stone and fibrous structures, and bolting, screwing and nailing fittings into place
- attaching and adjusting mechanical fittings such as cranks, locks and pull-cords
- installing flashing and waterproofing to fittings such as shower screens and prefabricated windows and doors
- Building Insulation Installer
- Home Improvement Installer
Building Insulation Installer
Installs and applies insulating material, such as foam, granules, foil, solar film, batts and blankets, to walls, floors, windows and ceilings of buildings to insulate against heat, cold, air, sound and moisture. Registration or licensing may be required.
Specialisations: Window Tinter (Building)
Home Improvement Installer
Installs functional and decorative home improvements such as awnings, curtains, blinds, security screens, garage doors, exterior cladding, shower screens and prefabricated windows and doors. Registration or licensing may be required.
Specialisations: Awning Installer, Carport Erector, Curtain Fitter, Security Door Installer, Shower Screen Installer