Structural Steel Construction Workers assemble rigging gear to move and position equipment and structural components, erect scaffolding, position and secure steel reinforcing in concrete forms, and erect and dismantle structural steel frames.
A Certificate II or III, or at least 1 year of relevant experience, is usually needed to work in this job. Around two in five workers have a Certificate III/IV. Even with a qualification, sometimes experience or on-the-job training is necessary. Registration or licensing may be required.
- erecting lifting tackles by attaching pulleys and blocks to fixed overhead structures, and installing cables and attaching counterweights
- attaching slinging gear to hoisting equipment and objects to be moved using clamps, hooks, bolts and knots
- fitting and bolting tubes, support braces and components to form bases and build up scaffolding
- lifting and positioning sections of scaffolding
- measuring, cutting, bending and fitting welded wire mesh into concrete areas to be mesh-reinforced
- fixing mesh and reinforcing steel into position in formwork for concrete pours
- setting up winches and rigging equipment to raise and position girders, plates, columns and other steel units
- erecting guard rails, guy wires, ropes and clears, laying planks and hanging safety nets
- Construction Rigger
- Steel Fixer
- Structural Steel Erector
Assembles and installs rigging gear, such as cables, ropes, pulleys and winches, to lift, lower, move and position equipment, structural steel and other heavy objects. Registration or licensing may be required.
Erects and dismantles scaffolding to provide work platforms on building and industrial sites, and for temporary structures such as staging and seating. Registration or licensing may be required.
Positions and secures steel bars and steel mesh in concrete forms to reinforce concrete structures. Registration or licensing may be required.
Structural Steel Erector
Erects and dismantles structural steel frames of buildings and other structures. Registration or licensing may be required.