Meat, Poultry and Seafood Process Workers slaughter and eviscerate poultry, and process, grade and package meat, poultry, fish and shellfish.
A Year 10 Certificate, Certificate I, or a short period of on-the-job training is sometimes needed, but is not necessary to work in this job. Around one in three workers have Years 11 and 10 as their highest level of education.
- processing offal and tripe
- moving carcasses to chillers and freezers
- loading meat products into trucks
- packing boned and sliced meat into cartons
- stunning and shackling poultry for killing and processing
- severing jugular veins of poultry, and removing viscera and residual material from poultry carcasses
- separating organs and glands, such as sweetbreads, livers, hearts and spleens, from poultry carcasses
- inspecting and grading poultry, fish and shellfish for size and quality
- packing fish and counting packs before freezing, and packing frozen fish blocks into cartons
- operating machines which slice, peel, skin and crumb fish
- cleaning and sanitising equipment and work areas
- Meat Process Worker
- Poultry Process Worker
- Seafood Process Worker
Meat Process Worker
Processes carcasses of slaughtered livestock and prepares meat and meat products.
Specialisations: Offal Separator
Poultry Process Worker
Stuns and kills, dresses, trims, cuts into portions, bones, fillets, weighs, grades and packages poultry.
Specialisations: Poultry Boner, Poultry Slaughterer
Seafood Process Worker
Scales, cleans, fillets, cuts, shells, grades and packages fish and shellfish.
Specialisations: Abalone Sheller, Oyster Opener