Concreters pour, spread, smooth and finish concrete for structures such as floors, stairs, ramps, footpaths and bridges.
A Year 10 Certificate, Certificate I, or a short period of on-the-job training is sometimes needed, but is not necessary to work in this job. Around one in three workers have a Certificate III or IV. Sometimes additional tickets are required to work in this job.
- erecting concrete form work and laying steel reinforcing
- pouring, spreading and levelling concrete using screeds and templates
- tamping, smoothing, shaping and sealing concrete
- operating trowelling machines to float, trowel and polish concrete surfaces
- forming expansion joints and edges using edging tools, jointers and straight edges
- installing fixtures in concrete such as anchor bolts, steel plates and door sills
- wetting concrete and rubbing with abrasives to finish vertical surfaces
- covering concrete with plastic sheeting and sand to cure it
- cutting lines in concrete using power cutters
- may cover freshly poured concrete with colouring powders and other materials
- Concreter or Concrete Worker