The number of people working as Gardeners (in their main job) fell over 5 years:
from 70,400 in 2014 to 67,600 in 2019.
Caution: The Australian jobs market is changing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These estimates do not take account of the impact of COVID-19. They may not reflect the current jobs market and should be used and interpreted with extreme caution.
- Size: This is a very large occupation.
- Location: Gardeners work in many regions of Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Administrative and Support Services; Construction; and Public Administration and Safety.
- Earnings: Full-time workers on an adult wage earn around $1,078 per week (below the average of $1,460). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Many work full-time (63%, similar to the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 43 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 41 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 11% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Arborists in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Arborists.