Nurserypersons propagate and cultivate trees, shrubs, and ornamental and flowering plants in plant nurseries.
Specialisations: Plant Propagator.
You can work as a Nurseryperson without formal qualifications, however, they may be useful. A course in horticulture, agriculture or production nursery might be helpful.
- preparing potting media and containers before planting
- selecting seeds, bulbs and cuttings, and planting them in beds, lawn areas and tubs
- budding and grafting vegetative material onto root stock
- watering plants manually and controlling automatic watering operations
- applying pesticides to control pests, diseases, weeds and nutritional and environmental plant disorders
- keeping records of soil mixtures, plantings, treatments, losses and yields
- selecting plants and packaging them for presentation and delivery
- advising customers on plant care and appropriate plants for local conditions
- may plan sales area layouts and visual merchandise presentation