You need to pass practical and theoretical exams to qualify for your pilot licence before you can work as an Aeroplane Pilot. The Civil Aviation Authority issues pilot licences. Flight training is available through private flying schools. Completing a formal qualification through either VET (Vocational Education and Training) or university may improve your chances of getting a job as an Aeroplane Pilot. You can also train to become an Aeroplane pilot with the Australian Defence Force.
You must also be registered with the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.
Checks, licences and tickets
You may need:
- a pilot licence issued by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority
- an aircrew medical assessment
Thinking about study or training?
Before starting a course, check it will provide you with the skills and qualifications you need.
- Search and compare thousands of higher education courses, and their entry requirements from different institutions across Australia at Course Seeker website.
- Compare undergraduate and postgraduate student experiences and outcomes on the QILT website.
- Compare Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, providers and student outcomes on the My Skills website.
- You might be interested in Aviation Industry VET training pathways on the AAPathways website.
Or check out related courses on Job Outlook.
Useful links and resources