Other Medical Technicians includes jobs like Audiometrist, Dialysis Technician, Electroencephalographic Technician, Mortuary Technician, Neurophysiological Technician, Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician, Ophthalmic Technician, Perfusionist, Renal Technician, Respiratory Technician, and Sleep Technician.
There are several occupations in this group, which may have varying study pathways.
- Operates equipment used in diagnosing and monitoring disorders of hearing, the heart, kidneys and nervous system, and during anaesthesia.
- Undertakes and assists with medical analytical procedures and assists anaesthetists and surgical teams.
- Records the electrical activity of the heart, from which the heart rate is measured and pattern and rhythm is interpreted.
- Prepares and stains slides and tissue sections to study the cells of blood for histological examination.
- Performs diagnostic tests on tissues and fluids and analyses the chemical constituents of blood, urine, faeces and tissues.
- Tests for diseases by looking for the presence of antibodies and the products of immune response in samples.
- Sets up, checks and maintains operating theatres, and anaesthetic workstations, life support machines and associated equipment.
More about Medical Technicians