The number of people working as Motor Mechanics (General) (in their main job) grew moderately over 5 years:
from 71,100 in 2011 to 73,500 in 2016.
Caution: The Australian jobs market is changing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These estimates do not take account of the impact of COVID-19. They may not reflect the current jobs market and should be used and interpreted with extreme caution.
- Size: This is a very large occupation.
- Location: Motor Mechanics (General) work in many regions of Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Other Services; Retail Trade; and Wholesale Trade.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (90%, much higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 44 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 37 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 1% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Motor Mechanics in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Motor Mechanics.