The number of people working as Metal Machinists (First Class) (in their main job) fell over 5 years:
from 3,100 in 2011 to 2,400 in 2016.
- Size: This is a very small occupation.
- Location: Metal Machinists (First Class) work in many parts of Australia. Western Australia has a large share of workers.
- Industries: Most work in Manufacturing; Other Services; and Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (92%, much higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 43 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 45 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 1% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Metal Machinists (First Class) in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Metal Machinists (First Class).