The number of people working as Gardeners (in their main job) grew very strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to grow strongly over the next 5 years:
from 77,900 in 2018 to 88,800 by 2023.
Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 56,000 job openings over 5 years (that's about 11,200 a year).
- Size: This is a very large occupation.
- Unemployment: Unemployment was average in 2018.
- Location: Gardeners work in many regions of Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Administrative and Support Services; Construction; and Public Administration and Safety.
- Earnings: Full-time workers on an adult wage earn around $1,078 per week (below the average of $1,460). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Many work full-time (63%, similar to the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 43 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 41 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 11% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Arborists in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Arborists.