Printing Machinists produce books, magazines, newspapers, brochures, posters, leaflets, packaging materials and stationery using printing presses.
Specialisations: Flexographic Printing Machinist, Gravure Printing Machinist, Label Printing Machinist, Letterpress Printing Machinist, Lithographic Printing Machinist, Reel Fed Printer, Sheet Fed Printer.
Either extensive experience or an apprenticeship in print manufacturing or printing is needed to work as a Printing Machinist.
- Sets, adjusts and monitors substrate-feed mechanisms, delivery mechanisms, inking systems and other printing machine functions.
- Mixes ink and solvents to standard, and regulates paper and ink supply.
- Determines press operations to check print quality standards and detect malfunctions.
- Produces a variety of printed products using relief, lithographic, flexographic and gravure printing presses, and in-line finishing systems.
- Prepares plates, blankets and impression cylinders.
- Loads paper into feeding mechanisms.
- Monitors machine operations and quality of printing.
- Undertakes maintenance of machines.
- Produces and manages digital print images, and transferring and outputting images.
- May set up and operate paper and bookbinding guillotines.