Dressmakers or Tailors make, alter and repair women's and men's tailored garments, formal wear, couturier clothing, and special occasion wear such as suits, dresses, coats, evening wear and bridal wear.
Specialisations: Costume Maker, Wardrobe Assistant, Wardrobe Coordinator.
You can work as a Dressmaker or Tailor without formal qualifications. Some on the job training may be provided. Training is also available through VET (Vocational Education and Training).
- Confers with customers to determine material, styles and designs of garments.
- Interprets designs, sketches and samples to determine pattern specifications.
- Cuts out master patterns.
- Lays up and cuts fabric.
- Pins, bastes and drapes garment parts.
- Sews garments.
- Fits basted garments on customers and marks areas requiring alteration.
- Sews buttonholes, and sews on buttons, hooks, eyes and press fasteners to finish garments.
- Pressing and finishing work.
More about Clothing Trades Workers