Furniture Finishers apply finishes, such as stain, lacquer, paint, oil and varnish, to furniture, and polish and wax finished furniture surfaces.
Specialisations: French Polisher.
Either extensive experience or an apprenticeship in timber furniture finishing is needed to work as a Furniture Finisher. Furniture Finishers often complete a certificate III or IV.
- Studies drawings, work orders and sample parts to determine specifications.
- Determines tool and machine requirements and sequence of operations.
- Sets up woodworking machines and wood stock for correct cutting, planning, turning, shaping and sanding.
- Operates machines to cut, plane, turn, shape and sand work pieces.
- Removes old finishes by stripping with steel wool and glasspaper, and by applying solvents and paint strippers, and removing softened finishes by scraping.
- Applies varnish, shellac, lacquer, stains and paint to surfaces and polishes and waxes finished surfaces.
More about Wood Machinists and Other Wood Trades Workers