School Principals plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate the educational and administrative aspects of primary, middle or intermediate, and secondary schools including physical and human resources.
Also known as: Headmaster or Headmistress.
Specialisations: Middle or Intermediate School Principal, Primary School Principal, Secondary School Principal.
You usually need formal qualifications and teaching experience to work as a School Principal. School Principals often have university qualifications.
- determining educational programs based on curricula set by educational authorities
- implementing systems and procedures to monitor school performance and student enrolments
- directing administrative and clerical activities concerning student admissions and educational services
- preparing school budgets and maintaining budgetary controls
- promoting the educational program, and representing schools in the wider community
- supervising the maintenance of school facilities
- enforcing a disciplinary code to create a safe and conducive environment for students and teachers
- organising and implementing methods of raising additional funds in conjunction with parent groups
- controlling selection, training and supervision of staff
- may teach students