Visual Arts and Crafts Professionals create visual two- and three-dimensional concepts and forms through painting, drawing, carving, sculpting, modelling, printmaking, video, multimedia, found objects, ephemera, soundscapes and other media to communicate concepts and ideas.
You need a high level of skill in your artistic medium to work as a Visual Arts and Crafts Professional. Formal qualifications might be useful but aren't essential. VET (Vocational Education and Training) and university are both common study pathways for Visual Arts and Crafts Professionals.
- conceiving and developing ideas, designs and styles for paintings, drawings, pottery pieces and sculptures
- arranging objects, positioning models, and selecting landscapes and other visual forms according to chosen subject matter
- selecting artistic media, method and materials
- applying media to surfaces using appropriate techniques
- moulding clay into functional and artistic articles by wheel-throwing, moulding and hand-building
- mixing glazing materials and applying glazes to dried pottery by dipping and painting
- placing finished and decorated pieces in kilns
- sketching designs of proposed sculptures, and making wax and plaster models
- devising forms from metal using welding and metalworking equipment, and from stone using masonry tools
- carving and forming materials to desired shape using hand and power tools
More about Visual Arts and Crafts Professionals
All Visual Arts and Crafts Professionals