The number of people working as Architects and Landscape Architects (in their main job) grew very strongly over 5 years:
from 25,100 in 2014 to 37,100 in 2019.
Caution: The Australian jobs market is changing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These estimates do not take account of the impact of COVID-19. They may not reflect the current jobs market and should be used and interpreted with extreme caution.
- Size: This is a medium sized occupation.
- Location: Architects and Landscape Architects work in many parts of Australia. Victoria has a large share of workers.
- Industries: Most work in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; Construction; and Public Administration and Safety.
- Earnings: Full-time workers on an adult wage earn around $1,674 per week (higher than the average of $1,460). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (81%, much higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 45 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 39 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 34% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Architects in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Architects.