The number of people working as Mechanical Engineers (in their main job) grew very strongly over 5 years:
from 10,200 in 2011 to 14,000 in 2016.
Caution: The Australian jobs market is changing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These estimates do not take account of the impact of COVID-19. They may not reflect the current jobs market and should be used and interpreted with extreme caution.
- Size: This is a medium sized occupation.
- Location: Many Mechanical Engineers work in Western Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; Manufacturing; and Mining.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (92%, much higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 45 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 38 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 5% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Mechanical Engineers in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Mechanical Engineers.