The number of people working as Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics (in their main job) grew very strongly over 5 years:
from 23,700 in 2014 to 33,600 in 2019.
Caution: The Australian jobs market is changing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These estimates do not take account of the impact of COVID-19. They may not reflect the current jobs market and should be used and interpreted with extreme caution.
- Size: This is a large occupation.
- Location: Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics work in many regions of Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Construction; Other Services; and Manufacturing.
- Earnings: Full-time workers on an adult wage earn around $1,400 per week (similar to the average of $1,460). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (89%, much higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 44 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 33 years (compared to the average of 40 years). Many workers are under 25 years of age (22%).
- Gender: 1% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics.