You can work as a Special Care Worker without formal qualifications, however, they may be useful. A course in residential care, community services, social services, child, youth, and family intervention, or related studies might be helpful.
Membership with the Australian Community Workers Association may be useful.
Checks, licences and tickets
You may need:
- national police check
- working with children check
- first aid certificate
Thinking about study or training?
Before starting a course, check it will provide you with the skills and qualifications you need.
- Search and compare thousands of higher education courses, and their entry requirements from different institutions across Australia at Course Seeker website.
- Compare undergraduate and postgraduate student experiences and outcomes on the QILT website.
- Compare Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, providers and student outcomes on the My Skills website.
- You might be interested in Health Industry and Community Services VET training pathways on the AAPathways website.
Or check out related courses on Job Outlook.
Useful links and resources