Other Wood Processing Machine Operators operate machines that strip and prepare logs, remove bark, cut logs and timber, create wood chips, and cut, glue, press, trim, sand, splice, mould and repair wooden boards of various grades, forms and combinations.
Specialisations: Debarker Operator, Docking Saw Operator, Log Preparer, Plywood and Veneer Repairer, Sawmill Moulder Operator, Veneer Production Machine Operator.
You can work as an Other Wood Processing Machine Operator without formal qualifications. Some on the job training may be provided. Training is also available through VET (Vocational Education and Training).
- Adjusts and cleans machines and performs minor repairs.
- Secures timber into place and sets saws to produce specified sizes of plank and board to be cut.
- Starts machines and feeds stock onto cutting saws, and operates automatic feeding mechanisms.
- Raises and lowers saws to trim boards and remove defects such as rot and splits.
- Controls lathes and slicing machines to produce veneers, and laminates veneers using glue.
- Verifies dimensions of cut stock and accuracy of cuts.
- Checks saws and other machines for safety, sharpness and correct functioning.
More about Paper and Wood Processing Machine Operators