You can work as a Train or Tram Driver without formal qualifications, however, they may be useful. Training is available through VET (Vocational Education and Training). A course in rail operations might be helpful.
Membership with the Australasian Railway Association may be useful.
Checks, licences and tickets
You may need:
- the relevant state or territory system of safeworking course
- driver's licence
- national police check
- working with vulnerable people and children check
- first aid certificate
- Psychometric or aptitude tests
Thinking about study or training?
Before starting a course, check it will provide you with the skills and qualifications you need.
- Compare Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, providers and student outcomes on the My Skills website.
- You might be interested in Transport and Logistics Training Package VET training pathways on the AAPathways website.
Or check out related courses on Job Outlook.
Useful links and resources