You need to pass practical and theoretical exams to qualify for your helicopter pilot licence before you can work as a Helicopter Pilot. The Civil Aviation Authority issues pilot licences. Flight training is available through private flying schools. Completing a formal qualification through either VET (Vocational Education and Training) or university may improve your chances of getting a job as a Helicopter Pilot. You can also train to become a helicopter pilot with the Australian Defence Force.
You must also be registered with the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.
Checks, licences and tickets
You may need:
- a helicopter pilot licence issued by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Thinking about study or training?
Before starting a course, check it will provide you with the skills and qualifications you need.
- Search and compare thousands of higher education courses, and their entry requirements from different institutions across Australia at Course Seeker website.
- Compare undergraduate and postgraduate student experiences and outcomes on the QILT website.
- Compare Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, providers and student outcomes on the My Skills website.
- You might be interested in Aviation Industry VET training pathways on the AAPathways website.
Or check out related courses on Job Outlook.
Useful links and resources