The number of people working as Architects and Landscape Architects (in their main job) grew very strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to grow over the next 5 years:
from 22,300 in 2018 to 23,900 by 2023.
Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 9,000 job openings over 5 years (that's about 1,800 a year).
- Size: This is a medium sized occupation.
- Unemployment: Unemployment was below average in 2018.
- Location: Architects and Landscape Architects work in many parts of Australia. Victoria has a large share of workers.
- Industries: Most work in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; Construction; and Public Administration and Safety.
- Earnings: Full-time workers on an adult wage earn around $1,674 per week (higher than the average of $1,460). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (81%, much higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 45 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 39 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 34% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Architects in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Architects.