You usually need a certificate IV in career development or employment services to work as a Careers Counsellor. Careers Counsellors often have university qualifications.
You will need to registered with the state or territory teaching board if you want to work in schools. Membership with The Australian Counselling Association may also be useful.
Checks, licences and tickets
You may need:
- national police check
- working with children check
Thinking about study or training?
Before starting a course, check it will provide you with the skills and qualifications you need.
- Search and compare thousands of higher education courses, and their entry requirements from different institutions across Australia at Course Seeker website.
- Compare undergraduate and postgraduate student experiences and outcomes on the QILT website.
- Compare Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, providers and student outcomes on the My Skills website.
- You might be interested in Community Services VET training pathways on the AAPathways website.
Or check out related courses on Job Outlook.
Useful links and resources