The number of people working as Automotive Electricians (in their main job) fell over the past 5 years and is expected to stay about the same over the next 5 years:
from 6,100 in 2018 to 6,000 by 2023.
Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 1,000 job openings over 5 years (that's about 200 a year).
- Size: This is a small occupation.
- Unemployment: Unemployment was average in 2018.
- Location: Automotive Electricians work in many parts of Australia. Queensland and Western Australia have a large share of workers.
- Industries: Most work in Other Services; Mining; and Manufacturing.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (90%, much higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 48 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 37 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 2% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Automotive Electricians in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Automotive Electricians.