The number of people working as Vehicle Painters (in their main job) grew very strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to grow over the next 5 years:
from 13,300 in 2018 to 13,700 by 2023.
Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 7,000 job openings over 5 years (that's about 1,400 a year).
- Size: This is a medium sized occupation.
- Unemployment: Unemployment was below average in 2018.
- Location: Vehicle Painters work in many regions of Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Other Services; Manufacturing; and Construction.
- Earnings: Full-time workers on an adult wage earn around $1,406 per week (similar to the average of $1,460). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (91%, much higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 42 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 36 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 2% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Vehicle Painters in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Vehicle Painters.