The number of people working as Bricklayers and Stonemasons (in their main job) grew strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to stay about the same over the next 5 years:
from 30,000 in 2018 to 29,300 by 2023.
Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 13,000 job openings over 5 years (that's about 2,600 a year).
- Size: This is a large occupation.
- Unemployment: Unemployment was below average in 2018.
- Location: Many Bricklayers and Stonemasons work in Western Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Construction; Manufacturing; and Administrative and Support Services.
- Earnings: Full-time workers on an adult wage earn around $2,070 per week (very high compared to the average of $1,460). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Many work full-time (78%, higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 43 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 38 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 1% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Bricklayers and Stonemasons in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Bricklayers and Stonemasons.