The number of people working as Painting Trades Workers (in their main job) is about the same as 5 years ago and is expected to grow over the next 5 years:
from 51,300 in 2018 to 54,100 by 2023.
Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 19,000 job openings over 5 years (that's about 3,800 a year).
- Size: This is a very large occupation.
- Unemployment: Unemployment was average in 2018.
- Location: Painting Trades Workers work in many regions of Australia.
- Industries: Most work in the Construction industry.
- Earnings: Full-time workers on an adult wage earn around $1,371 per week (similar to the average of $1,460). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Many work full-time (76%, higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 43 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 42 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 4% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
The Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business talks with employers who have tried to fill vacancies. Find out more in the latest report on Painting Trades Workers.