The number of people working as Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics (in their main job) grew very strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to stay about the same over the next 5 years:
from 28,500 in 2018 to 29,200 by 2023.
Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 18,000 job openings over 5 years (that's about 3,600 a year).
- Size: This is a large occupation.
- Unemployment: Unemployment was below average in 2018.
- Location: Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics work in many regions of Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Construction; Other Services; and Manufacturing.
- Earnings: Full-time workers on an adult wage earn around $1,400 per week (similar to the average of $1,460). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (89%, much higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 44 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 33 years (compared to the average of 40 years). Many workers are under 25 years of age (22%).
- Gender: 1% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics.