Detectives investigate serious crimes, such as terrorism, homicide, armed robbery, vice and arson, and gather evidence to arrest and prosecute suspected offenders.
Specialisations: Detective Sergeant, Plain Clothes Police Officer.
You need to be an experienced Police Officer before you can apply for detective training.
- Investigates and prosecutes offences.
- Secures and examines scenes of crimes and accidents to obtain evidence.
- Protects witnesses and investigates official corruption.
- Maintains public order and safety.
- Patrols assigned areas to minimise potential for public disturbance and crime.
- Investigates accidents, crimes, minor offences and citizens' complaints, gathering evidence, and pursuing, arresting and interviewing suspected offenders.
- Tests persons suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs and issues infringement notices for traffic offences.
- Directs and re-routes traffic at congested areas.
- Attends community meetings and answers inquiries.
- Gives advice and assistance to victims of crime and their families.
- Maintains records and prepares reports.