The number of Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics grew very strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to stay about the same over the next 5 years:
from 28,500 in 2018 to 29,200 by 2023.
Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 18,000 job openings over 5 years (that's about 3,600 a year).
- Size: This is a large occupation.
- Unemployment: Unemployment was below average in 2017.
- Location: Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics work in most regions of Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Construction; Other Services; and Manufacturing.
- Earnings: Full-time workers earn around $1,500 per week (higher than the all jobs average of $1,230). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (89.8%, much higher than the all jobs average of 68.4%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 43.7 hours per week at work (compared to the all jobs average of 40.0 hours).
- Age: The average age is 34 years (compared to the all jobs average of 40 years).
- Gender: 1.5% of workers are female (compared to the all jobs average of 46.7%).
In 2016, employers in some locations found it hard to fill vacancies for Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics. To find out more, view the Department of Jobs and Small Business latest skill shortage research opens in a new window.