Surveyors and Spatial Scientists plan, direct and conduct survey work to determine and delineate boundaries and features of tracts of land, marine floors and underground works, prepare and revise maps, charts and other geographic products, and analyse, present and maintain geographical information about locations in space and time.
You usually need a formal qualification in a relevant field to work as a Surveyor or Spatial Scientist. VET (Vocational Education and Training) and university are both common study pathways for Surveyors and Spatial Scientists.
- designing and compiling map manuscripts using digital and graphical source material, including aerial photographs, satellite imagery, survey documents, existing maps and records, reports and statistics
- advising Surveyors and other professionals on the data requirements for map production, and on the aesthetic, technical and economic considerations of scales, details to be illustrated, place names and reproduction techniques
- supervising and coordinating the work of cartographic technicians in the production and reproduction of maps
- determining the position of points of interest on the earth's surface including marine floors, and preparing the final product data in digital form
- supervising the preparation of plans, maps, charts and drawings to give pictorial representations and managing automated spatial information systems
- undertaking research and development of surveying and photogrammetric measurement systems, cadastral systems and land information systems
- planning and designing land subdivision projects and negotiating details with local governments and other authorities
- advising Architects, Engineering Professionals, environmental and other scientists or other relevant professionals on the technical requirements of surveying, mapping and spatial information systems
- compiling and evaluating data, interpreting codes of practice, and writing reports concerning survey measurement, land use and tenure
- preparing site plans and survey reports required for conveyancing and land ownership matters
More about Surveyors and Spatial Scientists
All Surveyors and Spatial Scientists