The number of people working as Civil Engineering Professionals (in their main job) grew very strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to grow strongly over the next 5 years:
from 53,300 in 2018 to 60,500 by 2023.
Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 28,000 job openings over 5 years (that's about 5,600 a year).
- Size: This is a very large occupation.
- Unemployment: Unemployment was below average in 2018.
- Location: Civil Engineering Professionals work in many regions of Australia.
- Industries: Most work in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; Construction; and Public Administration and Safety.
- Earnings: Full-time workers on an adult wage earn around $1,962 per week (higher than the average of $1,460). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Full-time: Most work full-time (90%, much higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 46 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 36 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 12% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Employers found it hard to fill vacancies for Civil Engineering Professionals in 2018. Find out more in the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business latest report on Civil Engineering Professionals.